Federal Work-Study Orientation for On and Off Campus Jobs


FWS Orientation -- Part 6 -- You must complete all parts and submit form at the end of this orientation. 


How do I get paid?

1. Once you are officially hired on the Next Gen system you will have access to your online time sheets. The timesheet covers a 2- week work period that corresponds to the pay periods listed on your FWS payment schedule.

   The FWS payment schedule will be sent to your Hunter College email address when you are officially hired online.

2. All time sheets must be completed online by either the student or the supervisor. All time sheets must be approved by the supervisor.   

3.  Submit the timesheet by the established due date for each work period. Failure to submit time sheets on time will result in a late payment.

4. What information is on the FWS Payment Schedule?    

  - Start and end dates of each 2-week work period

  - Timesheet due dates for each work period

  - Payment dates

 5. What are my payment options?

  • Direct deposit: Your FWS earnings will be deposited electronically into your personal checking or savings account on the payment date indicated on the FWS payroll calendar. 
  • Paper check: A check which will be mailed to the address listed on CUNYfirst on the scheduled payment date.

What do I need to know about Direct Deposit?

To make direct deposit your preferred way of receiving all your financial aid payments including your FWS payments, select this option which is located on your CUNYfirst 'Self Service' tab.

You will not receive a check stub when you elect direct deposit. If you need the information that would be provided on an actual stub, you can print this information from your CUNYfirst Self-Service tab.

What happens if I do not receive my check in the mail?

If you do not receive your check within two weeks of the payment date, contact the Bursar’s Office Room 238N.  A stop must be placed on the check; you will have to present your Hunter College ID card to place the stop. 

Are my FWS earnings taxable?

FWS earnings are considered taxable income by both the federal and state governments. Your FWS earnings must be combined with any earnings from a regular job and reported as wages on your tax return. However, FWS earnings are excluded in the calculation of your eligibility for financial aid.

At the end of the calendar year, CUNY will send you a W-2 form reflecting your FWS earnings for that 12-month period (January-December). This information can also be downloaded from your CUNYfirst 'Self-Service' tab. This information is also furnished to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, and local taxing agencies.

If you work off-campus, or if you work during periods of non-enrollment such as intersession, spring break or summer, FICA (Social Security taxes) will be deducted from your earnings at a rate of 7.65%.

I am currently receiving unemployment. Do I have to report FWS earnings to the unemployment office?

Yes, if you are currently receiving unemployment benefits, you should contact the NYS Department of Labor before accepting a FWS job to see how this might affect your benefit rate or continued eligibility for unemployment.



Start Over         << Return to Part 5          Continue to Part 7 >>