Selected Items[Remove All]

Available Items[Add All]

Hunter Hunter_Main



FWS Orientation -- Part 6


How do I get paid?


1. Once you are officially hired on the Next Gen system you will have access to your

   on line time sheets. The timesheet covers a 2 week work period that corresponds to

   the pay periods listed on your FWS payment schedule. The FWS payment schedule

   will be sent to your Hunter College email address when you are officially hired on



2. All time sheets must be completed on line by either the student or the

   supervisor. All time sheets must be approved by the supervisor.   


3.  Submit the timesheet by the established due date for each work period. Failure to

     submit time sheets on time will result in a late payment.


4. What information is on the FWS Payment Schedule?


  - Starting and ending dates of each 2 week work period

  - Timesheet due dates for each work period

  - Payment dates


6. What are my payment options?


Direct deposit: your FWS earnings will be transferred electronically into your personal checking or savings account on the payment date indicated on the FWS payroll   calendar. 

What do I need to know about Direct Deposit?

To make direct deposit your preferred way of receiving all of your financial aid paymwnts including your FWS payments, select this option which is located on your CUNYfirst 'Self Service' tab.

You will not receive a check stub when you elect direct deposit. If you need the information that would be provided on an actual stub, you can print this information from your CUNYfirst Self-Service tab.


What happens if I don't receive my check in the mail?


If you do not receive your check within two weeks of the payment date, contact the Bursar’s Office Room 238N.  A stop must be placed on the check; you will have to present your Hunter College ID card in order to place the stop. 


Are my FWS earnings taxable?


FWS earnings are considered taxable income by both the federal and state governments. Your FWS earnings must be combined with any earnings from a regular job and reported as wages on your tax return. However, FWS earnings are excluded in the calculation of your eligibility for financial aid.


At the end of the calendar year, CUNY will send you a W-2 form reflecting your FWS earnings for that 12 month period (January-December). This information can also be downloaded from your CUNYfirst 'Self-Service' tab. This information is also furnished to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, and local taxing agencies.


If you work off-campus, or if you work during periods of non-enrollment such as intersession, spring break or summer, FICA (Social Security taxes) from your earnings at a rate of 7.6%.


I am currently receiving unemployment. Do I have to report FWS earnings to the unemployment office?


Yes, if you are currently receiving unemployment benefits, you should contact the NYS Department of Labor before accepting a FWS job to see how this might affect your benefit rate or continued eligibility for unemployment.